“RENT” cancelled due to covid-19

Throughout the 2019/2020 school year, luck for the San Luis Obispo High School Drama Club has been extremely unfortunate. Like everything else at SLOHS and throughout the country, large gatherings of more than ten people have been cancelled in an attempt to combat the spread of the COVID-19 virus.

Among these cancellations was the SLOHS Drama Club’s production of the Broadway musical “RENT”; however this cancellation is particularly heart wrenching due to the year long fight the theater students went through in order to secure at least one show this school year. 

As early as last school year, the administration at SLOHS informed the drama club students that because of Measure D destroying the old theater and not having the new auditorium prepared on time, they wouldn’t be able to put on any shows the entire school year. The majority of the school year was spent by the theater students finding alternative performance spaces, going to meetings with members of administration, threats of protests, potential involvement of local news stations/newspapers, potential involvement of California Polytechnic University theater, etc. 

After eight long months administration and the drama club, with assistance from directors Wallace and Eben, an agreement was made and the rights were purchased to produce the musical “RENT”, the only catch that it would be the only show of the year. Despite not being given the opportunity to put on more shows the drama students were ecstatic to finally be able to showcase what they’re passionate about just like all the other clubs, sports, and associations on campus. In particular, seniors were beyond excited to be able to have their final show of high school.

“I was really upset because that meant I would never get to perform in highschool theater ever again. I’m really going to miss rehearsals and all of the people in college so it was a huge bummer when our time was cut short,” said senior Lauren Ramirez who would’ve played Mrs. Jefferson/Lead Homeless.

Other theater seniors are frustrated that it took the majority of the school year to even get the approval to do one show.

“Well it really sucks, because this year we didn’t even get to do any shows besides this one, and it kind of put a damper on the first half of the year. Now, we don’t even get to do the one that we got, so I just feel that seniors got jipped for the millionth time on another thing we were promised,” said senior Wyatt Dodd who would’ve played Mr. Jefferson/Squeegee Man.

Aside from the seniors, this was a shocking blow to the entire club.

“It really hit hard honestly. All of us fought incredibly hard and we all put in a lot of time and effort to make sure we’d get to perform. Once we found out we’d be getting a show, we were all so happy. Even with one show, in comparison to how many we had last year, we were all really grateful and excited to get to be in one. Wallace, Eben, and our cast put a ton of work into “RENT”, and to find out that we couldn’t do it anymore was devastating. Especially for all the seniors who have been doing theater for all of high school, to have this taken away before we got a chance was really sad. There’s nothing we can really do, but I’m still proud of all the work we put in.” said junior Jayda Monreal who would’ve played Alexi Darling/Lead Homeless.

Ironically, RENT is a musical about the HIV and AIDS epidemic as well as the growing homeless population in New York City in the 90’s. Many cast members have expressed how extremely surreal it is to be living in a similar situation that they’ve all been acting out.

Overall all the students at SLOHS are struggling right now whether it be the cancellation of their extra curricular or the uncertainty of the future. Unfortunately there’s nothing anyone can do except self isolate and stay home. If we all can miraculously put an end to this epidemic in our area then perhaps we can all go back to doing what we love and not waste anymore time. In short, there is no day but today to do your part.

View Comments (1)