What You Eat Could Save the Planet…Or Kill It

Collaboration between Opinion EditorAddie New-Schmidt and reporter Angie Crozier

For San Luis Obispo High School students concerned about climate change and environmental damage, looking into the food on your plate during and after the school closure  can be one of the easiest and effective ways to reduce your personal carbon footprint. Speciality diets have gained more attention in recent years and the most popular ones include veganism and vegetarianism.

“I’m vegan. It’s a more sustainable way to get what you need to survive without producing more water and stuff. [Veganism] is just not eating anything that comes from an animal, “said senior Brooke Andris.

Choosing to go vegan can be challenging and expensive, but there are other options that won’t hurt your wallet. Options like becoming vegetarian for example, where you can eat all animal products except meat. Becoming vegetarian can save the animals and water while at the same time keeping a stable healthy diet. In both veganism and vegetarianism people believe that animal cruelty is wrong and by not eating meat they’re helping this issue.

“I choose to become vegetarian because I believe that animals should have the right to live a healthy life like humans do,” said senior Dulce Esquivel.   

While not eating meat can be a challenge it will help the environment and planet in the long run.

Source: Frontiersin.org