Minecraft Uses Blocks, So Why Can’t We With Our School Schedule?

There are many problems with our current schedule at San Luis Obispo High School. Every day, students get homework from five different classes, stressing them out more than necessary. The current system also wastes time by giving us 7 minute passing periods, time that few people actually need. I believe that SLOHS should move toward the block period style, similar to what we have just had in finals.

Block period are beneficial for many reasons. First of all, they would allow teachers to get more in depth with certain topics in one day. In science, many times, the teachers have to split labs into many days, breaking up the flow of learning and discovery. But, in a block period, these problems would be erased. Students would be able to dive deep into ideas, and not be affected by having to take a day-long break.

“I’d want block periods. They would help me focus on individual subjects,” said freshman Ronan Biggs.

Block periods have other advantages too. They would make teachers see fewer people a day, therefore allowing them to individualize their teaching to benefit the students. This would mean that students have better opportunities to learn the way they learn best, and build student teacher connections. 

If SLOHS did a block schedule, it should go like this: one day would have 2 hours of 55 minutes periods, and a 35 minute lunch. Every day, the periods would be different, but by the end of the week you would be in each period for 350 minutes, the same as the normal schedule. 

With schedule above, school would be 43 minutes shorter, minutes that administration could use to start school later, which has been wanted by students for years.

In the end, our current system is flawed. Changing it to block periods would benefit students and teachers, and is the most logical option.