Fashion and Interior Design class works on Tiny House Project

“This is a cool opportunity because my students get to design a tiny house and those are super popular. The city is looking at how they can incorporate them into the city, and so for my students to be doing this right now is invaluable,” said fashion and interior design teacher Lisabeth Washmuth.

This year at San Luis Obispo High School, the fashion and interior design teacher assigned a project deemed the ‘Tiny House Project’. This project entails that each student will design a miniature house for their assigned clientele: another student. The client will decide on the overall look, color scheme, aesthetic, location, and other small details that they want their house to have.

The designer will then construct a complete floor plan that contains all living necessities inside of an eight by twenty foot frame. After the floor plan is complete, the students create a detailed and inked elevation of the house, including fabrics and finishes that their client’s house would obtain. 

This project can provide opportunities essential to any student who plans to go into the interior design field.

Designing a tiny house for a client can give the student experience in constructing clear and concise floor plan and also can teach students how to professionally communicate with clientele.