Courting the Homecoming Court

It’s Homecoming Week at San Luis Obispo High School, and students are eagerly awaiting the announcement of who will be this years winning “Homecoming Court.” 

For the first time, the rules for this classic high school tradition have been changed so that each grade only has one winner, chosen from ten nominees. Each of these nominees were nominated by clubs and sports around campus, and chosen for the values they represent and the activities they are involved in.

Expressions interviewed one from each grade to see how they felt about being nominated and about the new format.

Expressions: What club/sport where you nominated by?

Freshman Nate Browning: I was nominated by ASB (Associated Student Body).

Sophomore Marina Warren: I was nominated by volleyball.

Junior Ingrid Chen: I was nominated by NHS (National Honors Society).

Senior Olivia Dong: I was nominated by Art Club.

Expressions: Did you expect to be nominated?

Browning: I didn’t expect to be nominated because I didn’t even know it was a thing. It’s cool that I was though.

Warren:  Well, every player voted for it, and I think I’m most known person [on the team], so I wasn’t that surprised.

Chen: I  didn’t think I was going to get nominated, but I wasn’t surprised either. 

Dong: I wasn’t really expecting it, but I thought it was kinda cool to be part of this group of people.

Expressions:  Why do you think you were nominated, and what do you represent about this school?

Browning: I was nominated because I represent leadership. I try to be helpful to the freshman class and everyone at SLOHS.

Warren: I try to get along with all the grade levels and include everyone, and I’m pretty nice.

Chen:  It was because I’m smart but also pretty social, and I get along with most people.

Dong: I was nominated because I want to bring art into a bigger spotlight on this campus, and spread that sense of community within art around.

Expressions: How do you feel about the decision to change it to a single winner from each grade?

Browning: I don’t really have an opinion because I wasn’t here in previous years.

Warren: I think it is actually really cool because it’s not who’s the most popular or [the most popular] couples, it’s [someone] who does the most for our campus.

Chen: Honestly, I don’t really like it. I think it would’ve been better the other way, I don’t care about the gender. It could be two girls or two boys, but they should of kept it as two people.

Dong: I think it is definitely a step forward towards being more inclusive, and I think it makes people more welcome at the school.