The Solution To Failing Your Math Class

In my Algebra II class at San Luis Obispo High School, I was learning about imaginary numbers. Apparently, it was decided thousands of years ago that we were going to make numbers imaginary. Then later, sometime in history, it was decided to make all high school students take this wonderful class of Algebra II where they can learn about imaginary numbers and other totally useless information. I don’t think I will ever use this information. That’s why I propose Algebra II should not be required.

However, math is not totally useless. Basic math and number knowledge are needed even with the technology of calculators and Siri which can easily solve any math problem you have. Some careers do require high-level math knowledge.

“They [math classes] teach us a powerful technical language that can help our brain develop logical sequencing and reasoning strategies.  In a practical sense, the language of math helps us attend university and is worth a lot of money since we live in a tech age where almost all devices/tools are programmed through the language of mathematics. The fiscal demand for citizens with math degrees is significant today and will be more so in the future as technologies continue to advance,” said math teacher Kyle Fintel.

Is it really necessary to learn Trigonometry or Pre-calc though? If you’re not planning on becoming a math teacher, engineer, electrician, accountant or something high in the medical field, it’s safe to say you won’t need to know the linear equation, or how to find the imaginary root of a number.

I think SLOHS should offer life classes as an alternative to math. Life classes will teach students valuable information that will be used in life no matter what career path you take. In these life class students will learn how to file taxes, how to file for a loan, how to save money, how to budget, and other useful things. I believe that these will all be things students will use in their lives.

“I absolutely agree on the importance of being exposed to life skills courses.  When done properly, they can prepare students for budgeting, general finances, and general good ‘adulting’ practices. Also, many of these skills are covered by a cross-over between the general math curriculum along with economics that is taken senior year however they are not designed as prescribed units within our courses,” said math teacher Steven Arata.

The class could be taught by any adult on campus, so there would be no need for a new hire. I am not saying SLOHS should completely get rid of the math department, as some students who plan to go into a math-related field will need it. All I am proposing is that students are allowed to take valuable life classes instead of learning y=mx+b.

View Comments (1)