Is Easter An Excuse To Have A Break From School?

Many of the students at San Luis Obispo High School celebrate Easter, but do they know the real meaning of the holiday, or do they just see it as an excuse to have a break in the school year? Students may celebrate the holiday with eggs, chocolate, and bunnies, but many do not know the true meaning behind it. Easter is a religious holiday commemorating the resurrection of Jesus from the dead, described in the New Testament as having occurred on the third day after his burial.

Now the question is, should the school be allowed to give time off for Good Friday– the Friday before Easter Sunday, due to it being religious? Schools are not allowed to persuade students into believing any types of religion, so why are they giving time off of school for Christian holidays, but not holidays for other beliefs?

If schools are willing to give time off for Christian holidays, they should be allowing time off or at least excuse absences for holidays celebrated by other religions. By doing this, schools are showing that they are accepting of all religions, not just one. Some may argue that it is because the United States is founded on Christian beliefs, but in this generation, we can not say we are accepting of everyone, but only allow privileges for one religion.