Captain Marvel Is More Than Just Another Marvel Movie

Disclaimer: this article has spoilers regarding the movie “Captain Marvel”.

The Marvel universe is a movie franchise that students at San Luis Obispo High School are very familiar with. From “Ironman” (2008) to “Thor” (2011), each Marvel movie manages to create an immersive story and world for its audience. “Captain Marvel” (2019) is no exception to this, but it also brings more to the table than its predecessors. “Captain Marvel” presents a strong argument against the discrimination of foreign people.

The plot is centered around intergalactic soldier Carol (Brie Larson) and her journey of figuring out her real identity. However, Carol also has to defeat a race of people called the Skrulls, who are a supposed threat to her home planet.

“The Skrulls are viewed as ruffians because they’re not from the same planet, but they are just looking for a home,” said freshman Sophia Lea.

Throughout the feature, the audience slowly learns that the Skrulls do not deserve the bad reputation that they have been given.

This parallels with the current refugee crisis around the world today and how we constantly regard them as “aliens” in society.

Movies often try to convey some kind of message, but “Captain Marvel” hoans in on a message that is all too relevant to American society. We as a privileged society should open our arms and try to better understand our foreign neighbors. Refugees in our world, like the Skrulls, are fleeing a destroyed homeland in search of a new one.