Novelist Anna Castillo Comes To Cuesta College

Novelist Anna Castillo will be on Cuesta College’s campus March 5, 2019 for a presentation and book signing featuring her memoir “Black Dove: Mamá, Mi’jo, and Me”. This event is open to all students at San Luis Obispo High School, as well as to any friends and family who are interested in learning more about the author and her book.

Castillo is a Chicana novelist, poet, short story writer, essayist, editor, playwright, translator, and independent scholar. Considered one of the leading voices in Chicana experience, Castillo is known for her experimental style as a Latina novelist.

“I am interested in going to this book signing, and even picking up a copy myself. I think it would be really cool to interact with the author and hear about the book from the woman who actually wrote it,” said senior Molly Anthony.

“Black Dove: Mamá, Mi’jo, and Me” looks at what it means to be a single, brown, feminist parent in a world of mass incarceration, racial profiling, and police brutality. Through startling humor and love, Castillo weaves intergenerational stories traveling from Mexico City to Chicago. And in doing so, she narrates some of America’s most heated political debates and urgent social injustices through a lens of motherhood and family.

“The topics presented in this book are very current and relevant, even to students who aren’t being necessarily discriminated against directly. This event should be really interesting, and her book seems like a good read,” said senior Cassidy Clark.

View Comments (1)