Last Wrestling Dual Tonight At Santa Maria High School

Tonight is the last official dual meet for our San Luis Obispo High School wrestling team. They will be going to Santa Maria High School for both junior varsity and varsity to battle off for one more final win on the season. After this, the team will only have one tournament left and then they are off to CIF and league finals.

“This season has been really fun. We have won a couple of duals and that feels good. I am excited to wrestle Santa Maria. They have a good team so we will wrestle our hardest,” said sophomore Ari Maksoudian.

The team has been doing pretty well on dual matches this season despite the small numbers they have on the team. For some of the recent duals, it has been impossible to win it officially due to forfeits from the lack of numbers. Teams like Pioneer Valley High School and Morro Bay High School, which have big teams, can beat SLOHS even if we won the majority of the matches. The team losses may look bad on paper, but this team takes it one match at a time looking to win or learn from it.

“We will all wrestle hard against Santa Maria. We know this will be our last dual and we and our coaches are ready to make the final one count,” said junior Jorgen Kardel.

Santa Maria may not be a winnable dual just because of the forfeits, but that is not going to discourage this team. Just like any other dual, our wrestling team is ready to win matches individually and as a team. The dual will be tonight at Santa Maria High School at 5 and 6 p.m. Come out and show support to your SLOHS wrestlers.

“I lost four pounds today at practice, so that is what I feel right now,” said junior Ty Evans.

View Comments (2)