Why is it so Hard to Go Through With New Year’s Resolutions

Entering into a new year, many students at San Luis Obispo High School make New Year’s resolutions to follow in 2019. Some vow to quit bad habits, and some to start new, good habits. One thing most students have in common is that they end up not going through with their resolutions.

“I think, for the most part, New Year’s resolutions are reminders of failure,” said senior Aleksander Breiby. “A lot of people have great ideas, and want to change, but they have no real plan, and end up getting disappointed.”

Statistics gathered in 2017 show that only about nine percent of people will actually achieve their wishes. It is easy to set goals, but going through with them is the hard part.

“I think people set goals that are so unattainable or so different from what they are already doing that it doesn’t work out,” said senior Lili Steel.

Changes in life happen gradually. Setting a goal that is far from current reality is very optimistic, but not necessarily realistic to achieve. People get discouraged when they do not see the rapid progress that they initially were hoping for.

“Personally, I will follow through with certain aspects or ideas of my resolutions but it is hard to stick to something 365 days of a year. It is more achievable to shoot for daily goals,” said Steel.

However, New Year’s resolutions are a fun and optimistic way to start off the new year. It creates hope and excitement for what is to come and makes people reflect on the way they live their lives.

“I love making New Year’s resolutions, and I do it every year,” said senior Elena Rizzuto. “As long as I am aware that they won’t all necessarily be achieved, and that that is okay, it is a way to have something fun to look forward to in the new year.”