Why Christmas Sucks Now

Why Christmas Sucks Now

Christmas is the time to have fun celebrating the end of another year with those you care about most. But is it possible that the joys and fun festivities San Luis Obispo High School students used to love about the holiday have been lost?

“I think that the way Christmas changed for me was that the older I got the cheaper the presents were, and then I started seeing less family during the holidays. Santa is still real, so that hasn’t changed because nobody can make me believe he isn’t. I love the Christmas vibe, so basically, all of December feels festive with Christmas movies and music. But now, instead of only liking the twenty-fifth I have learned to appreciate the whole month,” said freshman Benjamin Watkins.

It’s harder to still believe in things that we never see, which is why I think kids stop believing in the magic of Christmas, including Santa, really early compared to past generations.

“Christmas isn’t as fun anymore as we get older because we don’t believe in Santa anymore and there is less of a mystery and excitement. We also start to comprehend more of our family’s financial place so for me personally I feel guilty for asking for presents because they’ll cost a lot,” said freshman Berlyn Ellsworth.

In this day and age kids are total targets for commercials and advertisements which leads them to believe their parents are able to supply them with everything they want. But in reality, parents can’t afford to provide all the wishes of their children. As we grow up and realize all of this I think it drains the joy of the holidays a little bit.

“Ever since I noticed that Santa’s handwriting looks really similar to my dad’s handwriting, I started to not get quite so excited about the whole Christmas thing,” said freshman Gustavo Stork.