Are Social Niches At SLOHS Good Or Bad?

Isaac J Lerner

Our society has come a long way from the racist, intolerant nature of America in previous centuries. A new policy of tolerance is pushed every day, focusing mainly on the starkly contrasting minority and vast majority demographics, and equally representing each. In doing so, San Luis Obispo High School has unintentionally separated these two demographics into their own cliques, relatively unable to mix, yet both equally represented just as intended.

Think of the Hispanic and Caucasian population at SLOHS, and how little each demographic intertwines into each other’s social cultures. The same is evident with the SLOHS band LGBTQ+ community. While the minority groups at our school may rarely be suppressed anymore, social discrimination from one social group to another is still all too prevalent.

Social exclusion between both groups is obvious, so the question that is begging to be asked is whether it is a good or bad occurrence at SLOHS.

“Being in a larger group can limit our voice, so being in a smaller group allows us to express our uniqueness and individuality,” said senior band drum major Christian Cueto.

Do these social niches want to be united? Should they be united for the well being of everybody and an all-inclusive social culture, or should like-minded people remain relatively independent of contrasting groups? 

Write your opinion in the comments.