A Review Of Part Time’s New Album

With the weather becoming chilly and the sky getting dark at five o’clock, San Luis Obispo High School students will be looking for some music that will fit the aesthetic of fall, and “Spell #6” by the band Part Time is a great option.

“A lot of it is really melodic and slow,” said senior Hannah Peterson.

One of the best songs on the album is “Spell #6”, which is fitting since it is the name of the album itself. The song has a very slow tempo and a dream-like quality to it.

The lead singer of the band, David Speck, has a voice that is reminiscent of Morrissey’s, circa The Smiths, in the sense that his voice echoes through the songs and sounds slightly morose. Speck’s voice, along with an electric guitar playing a minor chord, layered with some muted percussion, lends itself to sounding extremely similar to songs produced by artist Mac DeMarco.

“The album felt surreal because with every song I had a weird out of body experience. Each song had its own personal story, and if you really sat down and listened to it, it gave off a very sad vibe,” said junior Yajaira Cruz.

Part Time is a fairly new band, with its first record “What Would You Say?” being released in 2011. Speck originally saw the band as a part-time gig, before realizing the potential of it.

“It made me feel a little sad, but also being chill about it, and the album talked about it in a way that kind of makes you think,” said Senior Kat Freeman.