“Crazy Rich Asians” Will Make You Fall In Love With Rom Coms All Over Again

Students at San Luis Obispo High School have always been exposed to the newest films. However, certain minorities lack representation onscreen; particularly the Asian community. That is why Chinese-American director Jonathan Murray Chew’s recent work “Crazy Rich Asians” is revolutionary with its all Asian cast.

“As an Asian immigrant, a movie with an all Asian cast is new and exciting! Also, kind of amazing,” said junior Van Anh Nguyen.

“Crazy Rich Asians” is a romantic comedy about Rachel Chu (Constance Wu) who is supposed to accompany her boyfriend, Nick (Henry Golding), to his brother’s wedding in Singapore. There, she is going to meet Nick’s family for the first time. She is surprised to learn that Nick’s family is extremely wealthy and that Nick is one of the country’s most eligible bachelors. Rachel must deal with jealous aristocrats, intruding relatives, and Nick’s disapproving mother.

“It was amazing! It made me both laugh and cry,” said senior Elena Rizzuto.

“It also teaches us about Asian culture, which is different,” said sophomore Sophia Cardieri Monteiro.

The storyline is not all too original, however, the story of Nick’s family, and the way Chew portrays Asian culture without the inaccurate stereotypes is captivating. It will make you fall in love with romantic comedies all over again.

“All through the movie, I was hoping that the guy gets to stay with the girl,” said Monteiro.

For once, Asian people are portrayed as rich and wealthy, and Americans are not. There is one remarkable joke in the movie that perfectly captures this image. When Rachel is eating at her friend Peik Lin’s house, Peik Lin’s younger sisters won’t finish their food. Peik Lin’s father proceeds to remind them: “There are children starving in America!”

Stream it today or watch it on Blu-ray and DVD.