These Student Athletes Go Above And Beyond

One of the most challenging things to do at San Luis Obispo High School is to play a sport while keeping your grades up. So much time is spent on the field or working out to optimize the game, but students also have to prioritize getting homework done, or doing extra credit for a class. Some go above and beyond in both fields and have learned to deal with the overload of work.

Expressions: What does a typical day after school look like?

Senior tennis player Hannah Alltucker: We get out after fourth, grab our tennis stuff, and then have two hours or so of practice each day, usually getting me home around five p.m. On game days, it’s even longer and I don’t get home until 6:30 p.m. After that, it’s a lot of homework and studying, especially for physics and calculus.

Senior tennis player Ari King: I go to practice, come home, eat dinner, take a shower, do my homework, and usually go to bed between 11 and 11:30 p.m.

Expressions: How many AP classes have you taken?

Alltucker: I’m taking five AP’s this year, but only four right now. Altogether I think I’ll have taken nine when I graduate.

King:  I took two sophomore year (European history and computer science), four junior year (chemistry, calculus, literature, and U.S. history, and I’m taking four this trimester (physics, government, statistics, and language).

Expressions: What is the main reason you push yourself so hard?

Alltucker: One reason I push so hard is because I really like my studies and enjoy working hard so I can have more opportunities in the future, but also enjoy tennis and getting the exercise. Besides, tennis is a good way to use energy or get rid of stress, and is always a fun break from constant classwork.

King: I push myself because I like to maximize my capabilities and feel like I am doing the best I possibly can in school and athletics.

Expressions: If you could do it all over again, would you change anything?

Alltucker: If I could do it all over again I definitely would, but if I could change anything it would most likely be making room for AP Latin in my already full schedule, or maybe joining band, because it’s not like my life is chaotic enough as it is already.

King: I wouldn’t really change anything. I like the classes I’ve taken through high school. I think taking theater would’ve been fun though.

Expressions: What are your future goals?

Alltucker: My future goals are to go to college and major in pre med, then later on go to med school and become a surgeon like my dad, though I’m not sure what I want to specialize in. Along with this, I want to keep playing tennis as more of a hobby and find some time to travel around the world a little more.

King: My future goals are to go to college and have a successful career in whatever I choose to do.