Shay Smiley-Rooney, Competitive Acrobatic Gymnast

San Luis Obispo High School junior Shay Smiley-Rooney has been a competitive acrobatic gymnast for five years. Acrobatic gymnastics, or “Acro”, is where partnerships of gymnasts work together and perform skills consisting of acrobatic moves, dance, and tumbling set to music.

“I expect to have an experience at my last meet, to go out and leave my 5 years of acro out on the floor. Give it all I have while enjoying it. I expect to live in the moment and take it all in for what a big part of my life acro has been and thank it for who it’s molded and shaped me to be. I expect to leave it with closure,” said Smiley-Rooney.

There are three types of routines competed at the elite level which Smiley-Rooney participates in. The first is a balance routine, where the focus is on strength, balance, and flexibility. Then there’s a dynamic routine, which focuses on throws, catches, and flips. Lastly, there’s a combined routine which includes both balance and dynamic elements. Smiley-Rooney practices 3.5 hours a day, four days a week. With all her hard work and dedication, she plans to compete at the Acrobatic Gymnastics National Championships in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, June 27 through July 2. With her successful acro career coming to an end after Nationals, she hopes to give her best performance for her last time.