College Bound Seniors

May 1 is National College Decision Day, the deadline for all high school seniors to commit to where they intend to spend the next four years of their life. After a year filled with ACT and SAT tests, stressful college applications, and receiving acceptance and rejection letters, the class of 2017 will finally be able to say they know where they’re headed in the fall by the end of this month. Expressions interviewed seniors about where they’ve committed and why they made the decision.

Expressions: Where will you be attending in the fall?

Senior Scott Manning: Loyola Marymount.

Senior Grace Gilmore: Santa Clara University.

Senior Maddie Brogno: Cal Poly SLO.

Senior Spencer Wormley: University of Oregon.

Expressions: What will your major be?

Manning: Electrical Engineering.

Gilmore: My major is History on a Pre-Law track.

Brogno: Currently, Construction Management but I’m going to try to switch into Nutrition or something.

Wormley: Economics.

Expressions: Why did you decide on that school?

Manning: It’s in a very good location with a good student to teacher ratio. It seemed like an amazing place to go to college.

Gilmore: I love the Bay Area and the campus and I didn’t really want to go Cal Poly.

Brogno: I decided on Poly because I grew up on the campus since my mom works there and I’ve always loved it. I also didn’t get into my first choice school so it made it easy to choose Poly which was my second choice. And I like the learn by doing style of teaching because that’s how I learn best.

Wormley: The first time I stepped on the campus I knew it was the right choice for me. Sports are a big part of my life and U of O offers great athletic programs. You are also one hour away from beaches and mountains. What more can you ask for!

Expressions: What are you looking forward to most in college?

Manning: Meeting new people and I’m excited for all the new experiences I’ll have.

Gilmore: I’m looking forward to getting away from home and living somewhere new because I’ve never really been out of San Luis.

Brogno: I look forward to mostly meeting new people and starting a new chapter in my life as an adult.

Wormley: I’m ready to see new things and meet new people!