Review: “Hidden Figures”

Review: Hidden Figures

The Oscar nominated movie “Hidden Figures” highlights the important role African-American women played in the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) during the early years of the U.S. space program. It focuses on three mathematicians as they deal with racial segregation and discrimination in the workplace, in addition to being discriminated against for being women.

“’Hidden Figures’ inspires young girls to fight for their rights,” said senior Alessia Duran.

These three women manage to accomplish incredible things, despite the many obstacles they face. The film is very inspiring in many ways, but primarily because of the way these women deal with adversity and how they manage to accomplish what’s considered impossible for an African-American woman. The fact that the storyline is based on real events only makes it even more inspirational.

Important topics such as racism and sexism are being brought to light in “Hidden Figures”, making these problems a reality. The movie suggests that even though it seems like these problems have been solved, there is still a long way to go, even today.

Throughout the movie we get to be a part of the progress the main characters make regarding racial and gender discrimination. Fighting one battle at a time, they get one step closer to achieving the equality they are seeking.

If you’re interested in checking out “Hidden Figures”, you can see it at The Movie Experience in downtown San Luis Obispo.