Remembering Valentine’s Day As It Was In Elementary School

In the good old days of elementary school, when we all got along for the most part, we always had the annual Valentine’s Day class party. We prepared for this event all week long, making pink and red decorations and little paper bag mail boxes for our Valentine’s Day loot. Some parents took us to CVS and got Hannah Montana cards, while others went above and beyond and made homemade cards and cupcakes. Most of the candy we got were stale chocolates and heart shaped lollipops that tasted like cough drops, but nonetheless they still excited us.

“I loved making the mailboxes, I always decorated them with hearts and glitter. I always hoped I would get a valentine from my crush in there, but it never happened,” said junior Danielle Ponce.

Valentine’s Day in elementary school was always a source of positivity, which is much different than the experiences we face when it comes to the holiday as teenagers. We have high expectations for our partners that usually leave us unsatisfied, or we have lonely experiences if we are single. It would be nice to go back to the times when everyone gets a Valentine, no matter your relationship towards them.