What Are The Pros & Cons Of Social Media?

In the last couple of years, the use of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat has increased drastically. Even though it’s most common among younger people, it seems like the power of social media is appealing to people of all ages. The high use of social media does not come without consequences.

“Cyber bullying, fake news and catfishing are all consequences of social media,” said senior Allie Arthur.

There’s no secret that teenagers are easily influenced by things that are going on in their daily life, and the internet and social media platforms are no exception. We are being exposed to unrealistic body images and we experience the pressure to portray our “perfect” lives on social media.

There are obviously good things about social media too. One can stay connected and communicate with people even when they’re far away, it brings countless new job opportunities that never existed before, and it’s a fast way of spreading news across the world.

Social media itself isn’t a bad or a good thing. It can be a helpful tool if we use it with caution and are aware of the consequences.