Movie Review: “Hacksaw Ridge”

Directed by Mel Gibson, “Hacksaw Ridge” tells the story of United States Army corporal Desmond Doss; it premiered in Los Angeles on October 24.

“It was an exciting and informational movie! And the movie was good because it made a serious story pretty exciting,” said senior Erik Grant.

In the movie, award winning actor Andrew Garfield takes us back to World War II and tells the story of Desmond Doss and his life. It follow’s the characters journey from playing with his brother, dealing with his drunken father, meeting the love of his life, and most importantly signing up for the military and going into battle with no weapon to protect himself. Saving lives was his only goal.

Dorothy Schutte (Teresa Palmer)  and Garfield do a great job in displaying the relationship of Doss and his wife in a way that makes even the audience fall in love.

Vince Vaughn playing the role of Sergeant Howell brings a little humor into the gruesomeness that is the rest of the film.

You don’t have to be a World War II fanatic to be able to enjoy this movie. The flick will bring you to the edge of your seat. It’s going to make you both laugh and cry, and I would really suggest taking 2 hours and 11 minutes to watch it. Although, the movie gets pretty graphic and violent so if you’re not a big fan of blood and spread body parts I suggest you sit this one out.