What’s Truly Important When Applying To College?

It happens every year: in the first few weeks of school, the senior class revels in their newly inherited superiority complex. Free from the intense academic pressure of junior year, many seniors let their study habits regress, spending more time searching for the next party than studying for their upcoming math test. At a certain point, however, this false sense of security comes crashing down as the ominous deadlines for college applications approach at a rapid rate.

“I find the college application process very stressful. There’s a lot of different components and it’s hard to find time for it all”, said senior Lily Hollister.

Every high school senior is all too familiar with the dreaded “bombardment of questions”. From the end of junior year until the first day of college, virtually every conversation with relatives, teachers, or parents contains some version of the questions: “Where do you want to go to school next year?” or “What are you going to major in.” To the anxious ears of a confused high school senior these questions all translate directly to: “What are you going to do with the rest of your life?”

According to College and Career Center Specialist, Colleen Martin, this fear is largely unfounded.

“Probably half our students don’t know what they want to really do or they’ll change it over the course of college. The easiest way to prevent the stress of college applications is to start early and apply to colleges that fit your profile”, said Martin.

Desperate for some kind of direction, students often resort to determining their school and major based on how much money they think it will make them in the future, rather than going into a field they truly enjoy. While the importance of financial stability is undeniable, making a career decision based solely on money is absurd and will lead to an unfulfilling life, regardless of financial status.

Beyond the money required to support basic needs and minimal desires, the rest becomes superficial. Dedicating one’s life to what they are truly passionate about results in sustainable happiness. This long term contentment, I would argue, is far more desirable than the fleetingly addictive rush we gain from purchasing material goods.

Come November, when college applications are due, I would encourage all seniors to be guided by their passions, not their wallets.