Queens of the Green: A Girls’ Golf Odyssey

Coming off of a second place title last year and a league victory the year before that, 2016’s Girls’ Varsity Golf team has shown that the sport’s hot streak is far from over. Following the team’s second place win in last week’s league tournament, I interviewed juniors Isabel Carpenter and Violet Udlock, as well as seniors Grace Park and Caroline Petithomme about their attitudes towards this year’s season and the sport as a whole.

Before the discussion of golf begins, it’s important to know how the sport is played.

“The main idea is to get the ball in the hole,” Udlock explained to me. “Each hole has an estimated number of strokes it should take to get there. You try to get the lowest score over all.” Golf is an intellectual sport, which requires just as much focus as it does dexterity.

“Part of why I like the sport so much is because it makes me think. It’s like a brain game,” said Petithomme.

Perhaps the star of the already talented team is Carpenter, who has been playing golf routinely with her father since her early childhood.

“He made me play when I was little, but now I play because I like how I can compete against myself to get a better score,” said Carpenter. Her experience is evident in her skills, for she now consistently shoots high 30’s and low 40’s for nine hole games.

Because golf isn’t as physically demanding as other sports, the game has unfortunately been stigmatized by some as an effortless activity.

“People think golf doesn’t take hard work because it’s not physically active, but it’s a very mental game.” said Park. She’s totally right. To be successful in golf, one must clear their mind of all possible distractions and focus on nothing but the ball and the club. Though it’s a dominantly independent sport, all of my interviewees made sure to tell me that without good team comradery, the potential for excellence in the sport is compromised.

“I love my team, we’re so close-knit.” said Petithomme, to which Park added, “and golf time is also story time, so we know a lot about each other. Something about being comfortable with your peers improves your playing.”

As they venture into their already great season, remember to give some recognition to Girls’ Golf; one of our school’s most hardworking and successful sports teams. Since they don’t usually get spectators, it’s imperative to give them recognition and credit during the school day. So, if you see a little lady on campus wearing a visor and skort, congratulate her on her work on the course. Just make sure she’s not a tennis player before you do so.