Fencing Queen at Only Sixteen

San Luis Obispo High School junior Shaina Morris tears up it up on the track, the field, and in the classroom, but this super star also dominates the strip, also known as the competition zone for fencing.

Morris began fencing six years ago. She usually competes in the fall to qualify for Junior Olympics, then has less competitions while school track season is at its peak, and then “ramps it up again to train for Nationals.” At Nationals last year, Morris placed third in Division III, and 41st in Division II.

During training, Morris usually fences against middle aged to older men who are members of the local fencing club. But in competitions, she fences against women her age or a little older.

“The men are a lot stronger than the women I compete against, but the women are usually faster. The men stay further away when preparing to strike, but the women get more in range when preparing to strike,” said Morris.

There are three different fencing weapons each with different rules. “I do epee. It’s typically a heavier weapon than the other two, with your opponent’s full body at a target,” said Morris.

At tournaments, competitors fence six to eight different individuals for a three-minute round, or until one gets five points. The best from each of these pools with go to elimination rounds with three three-minute periods, or to 15 points.

While physically challenging, the mental aspect of fencing is also intense. “Fencing is hugely a mental sport because you have to get in your opponent’s head and figure out what they are trying to do and stop them, all while trying to not let them know what you’re trying to do to them. It’s really tough,” she added.

Through fencing, Morris said she has become “more focused. It has helped me tremendously in track because I am better able to assess my competition and harness my own will power.”

Morris hopes to go to Nationals this fall and continue fencing in college.