The 2016 SkillsUSA Competition is Coming Up

SkillsUSA is a partnership of students, teachers, and industry working together to ensure that America has a skilled workforce. The competition features more than fifty occupational skills contests in areas such as automotive, culinary, early childhood education, information technology, dental assisting and welding. San Luis Obispo High School has achieved major success in this nationwide competition. Students compete individually, and in 2014 we came first in Nationals for Automotive Service Diagnosis, and in 2015 senior Ben Hurley came fifth in the nation for the same category.

The 2016 SkillsUSA competition is coming up, and our students are preparing for regionals, held at Paso Robles High School in two weeks.

“The competition consists of thirteen different stations involving an automotive, a written test, and a job interview,” said Hurley. SkillsUSA is all about preparing students for a professional working place, so they incorporate an official job interview to get you ready for the industry.

“I don’t want to sound conceited, but Regionals isn’t going to be a competition for me. I’ve been preparing a lot for it and I’m not worried. I’ll have to put in work for state though, I’m hoping to go to Nationals again.” said Hurley.

The first three people will move on to the state competition that is usually held in San Diego. We wish our students the best of luck.  

“I’m positive we will do well. There aren’t any schools in the area that compare to us because we have a great team and a great leader. Mr. Lehmkuhl is the greatest mentor I’ve ever had.” said Hurley.

View Comments (1)