Three 2024 Seniors Talk Regrets and Reliefs!

Using artist irasutoya’s drawings to convey feelings of regret and relief that SLOHS seniors may be feeling from their high school tenure. Comic courtesy of Cassiopeia Mamaradlo.

The end of school is only weeks away and many San Luis Obispo High School seniors are excited for the long awaited summer break. After four years at SLOHS, these seniors have truly matured and grown over time. Expressions has taken the time to interview some diverse personalities of seniors about their high school highs and lows.

Their insights could help future and current Tigers navigate their high school experience.

Expressions: What were your biggest regrets? This can be about community, friends, sports, opportunities, and academics.

Senior Nina Moutafov: My biggest regret would have to be dropping AP Language because I think I tried to lessen my workload but then it gave me less things to do. The AP classes are a great opportunity to help your learning grow and help prepare you for college, and I think that’s just a missed opportunity for me there.

Senior Tea Kalpakoff: Overbooking myself because of external expectations or college… as opposed to something I actually want to do and actually having fun.

Senior Leia Hallet: Maybe not going to more of the school sanctioned things, like the ball games. 

Expressions: What were your biggest reliefs? As in, what were you glad you did and would definitely not change and also something that made you feel more positive towards the year.

Moutafov: I’m very grateful I took anatomy class because that helped me decide my future career pathway in kinesiology and maybe physical therapy. Getting to experience those labs first hand inspired me. 

Kalpakoff: I’ve done three sports and I stuck with track all four years, and the community of track keeps me coming back and staying till fifth period most days. ASB third period since sophomore year has been such a highlight in making me feel like I’m a part of school rather than just showing up. Like, you want you to feel like you have an impact rather than a clog in a machine. 

Hallet: I’m really glad that I kept playing sports, especially this year, because it helped me have a community of people I know which is important.

Although these seniors each have their own unique experience of highschool, their regrets and relief all share the general idea of missing out on classes or events they wanted to go to and gratitude for being involved with classes and sports!