A Blast From the Past: The 24-Hour Relay is Back

Students, parents, and activists took over Holt Field decades ago. Photo courtesy of the 24-Hour Relay Facebook. 

SLOHS ASB announced the revival of an old tradition of San Luis Obispo Culture, this being the 24-Hour Relay and its return to the infamous Holt Field. 

On the March 3 Edition of the SLOHS Newsletter, ASB officially announced the return of the 24-Hour Relay after seven years of inactivity. The Relay, which will have hundreds of students camped out on campus, is set to occur Saturday, May 4 for the first time in years.

“The 24 Hour relay is a school wide event where teams of ten students will always have one student on the track, complete in one mile. Students will be participating in a wide range of activities that will be happening in entertainment on the inside of the whole field,” said ASB Vice-President and lead organizer for the 24-Hour Relay senior Tea Kalpakkoff.

Kalpakkoff is currently leading the event and she is ensuring it will be as great as the preceding relay races that have happened here at SLOHS for many years. 

“While the event of the relay is going on, we will have other events like a hypnotist, and we are in the process of getting together something called the ‘Silent Disco.’ We’re working on a few other possible events, but at this point, it’s too early to go on record with some of those possibilities,” said English teacher and SLOHS ASB advisor Craig Stewart.

Stewart is currently overseeing the 24-Hour Relay, stating that the relay was a prominent feature of SLOHS activities in years past. 

“I remember being on a team, “Staff Infection,” like the one that dodgeball took over and for the entirety of those 24 hours, going home was such a relief, because you are just so tired all day. That relay was some of the most fun events here on campus and I’ve been here since the late 90s so I’ve been a part of many of these events,” said English teacher Scott Nairne. 

As life slowly comes back to normal and the natural cycle of society begins to converge, It’s fun events like these that can bring the community of SLOHS back together.