Electrifying Storms Won’t Stop SLOHS’ (Slightly Insane) Distance Runners

People gather around our SLOHS track and field. Photo courtesy of senior Téa Fischer.

Recently there has been rain around San Luis Obispo High School, yet runners were still spotted practicing in the rain. Should runners practice even in the rain? SLOHS’ distance runners gladly do.

“If athletes are motivated enough, they’re gonna want to do whatever it takes to become the best that they can be,” said sophomore distance runner Carly Meeks.

In early March, rainstorms ran their course through the school, much to the dismay of normal Track and Field athletes. These conditions deterred most of them, but not our crazy SLOHS distance runners!

“Honestly I think that distance runners are really cool, I think it’s impressive they can run for such a long period of time, I personally could not do that, that’s a lot for me to do.”  said freshman thrower Arion Avina.

While the normal people in Track and Field were holed up in the school’s commons or inside the hallways and gyms, distance/cross country runners were still running laps around the track. Even with unpleasant conditions, some athletes will continue striving to improve no matter what.

“Running in any variable condition that’s not standard makes it a little more challenging, whether it’s cold, windy, or rainy, it’s going to add another layer of difficulty to it. It’s really admirable that they are able to push themself even with these conditions going on,” said throws and jumps coach Josh Carr.

Even if they are a bit crazy, there must be some method to their madness that is working. The effort and dedication that our SLOHS distance runners put in is admirable and they put up impressive numbers on all their races!