One month left: how are SLOHS Students Feeling About the Year Ending?

Enjoy summer while it lasts, Tigers. Photo courtesy of Health & Sports Editor Vyolet Burrus. 

As the 2022-2023 school year nears an end at San Luis Obispo High School, students are moving on to new things. While the seniors are graduating and leaving high school for good, juniors are getting ready for a stressful senior year, and underclassmen are ready to advance to upperclassmen. 

Every grade and every student is feeling differently about the ending of this school year, and the start of the next. To gather more information about student’s attitudes, Expressions decided to interview a member of each grade. 

Expressions: How would you say this year has been for you?

Freshman Fernando Rios: Probably a bumpy ride just because there’s some subjects I have a hard time learning in.

Sophomore Nolan Evers: Mostly positive, I met a lot of people I don’t know.

Junior Aubrey O’Leary: This year started off kind of bad for me, I did not like it at all. I was having a hard time, but now I’m starting to actually have friends and enjoy the year. 

Expressions: What is your favorite memory from this year?

Rios: Making new friends and also meeting brand new teachers and getting to know their teaching styles. 

Evers: Reading in a bookstore with people. 

O’Leary: I met my best friend Kate this year who’s a senior and [so the best part was] all the stuff we’ve done together this year and becoming friends. 

Expressions: How are you feeling about the school year ending?

Rios: I feel like it’s coming too soon, I’m surprised at how fast it’s going. 

Evers: I’m feeling good, I’ve got a pretty heavy summer. 

O’Leary: Part of me is a little relieved and excited since I’ve not loved most of the year and I’m looking forward to summer like having a break. And a part of me is a little sad to see my friends graduate and go to college. 

Expressions: Do you have any plans for the summer?

Rios: Most likely work at the student aid that they put up and/or help out at a robotics camp. 

Evers: Hanging out at the lake. I’m going to do a CIT program for Natoma. And I’ve got woodworking and Boy Scouts stuff. 

O’Leary: I’m hoping to get a job and to do some theater over summer. 

Expressions: What are you looking forward to in the fall when you go back to school?

Rios: Probably seeing my friends again and seeing old faces.

Evers: I’m not looking forward to algebra two but you know, that’s kind of too late. 

O’Leary: I’m not looking forward to much, I’m kinda dreading it.

Expressions: What advice would you give for lower students coming into your current grade level?

Rios: Try your best in making friends, it will definitely help you. 

Evers: Just stop caring about what other people think honestly. Make friends with all the interesting people here. You don’t have enough time in high school to really waste. 

O’Leary: Keep doing your best but don’t put so much pressure on yourself to do stuff that just isn’t for you. Make sure you value your mental health over your popularity, your grades, your classes, and other people’s expectations.

Expressions wishes SLOHS students a good finals, and an enjoyable summer; this year has been great, Tigers!