Artist Interview: Haley Adler

San Luis Obispo High School junior Haley Adler makes drawings in her free time, and in exchange friends will pay her to draw them a picture for a few dollars. Expressions interviewed Adler about the motivation behind her drawings.

Expressions: What made you want to start these drawings?

Junior Haley Adler: I saw some other drawings and wondered if I could do that because they looked cool and interesting. I draw three different types.  They don’t have official names, but I call them henna drawings, which are usually flowers with different patterns around the flower, watercolor paintings, and quote drawings where I pick quotes and outline them.

Expressions: How do you start these drawings?

Adler: First I start by writing the quote down and I write the quote down in something similar [to] bubble letters but not exactly bubble letters. I keep outlining the quote and it ends but just being a bunch of lines surrounding a quote or name in the center.

Expressions: When do you draw most of these pictures?

Adler: I draw at night before I go to bed because it helps me relax and unwind. I will also draw if I’m bored and when I am listening to a lecture in class. If it’s boring, I will just start drawing.

Expressions: Why did you start selling these drawings?

Adler: I started selling them last year and people would ask me what I was drawing so I would explain them as ‘squiggly’ drawings, or I would call them henna drawings. Then someone offered to pay me five dollars for a quote that they wanted to put in their room, and naturally, I agreed.

Expressions: How long does this whole process take you?

Adler: It usually takes me a few days. It doesn’t take that much time. You just have to find time and put in the effort into making the drawings.

ward Picture2

Ward Picture