What Songs Are SLOHS Students and Teachers Listening To This Winter?

Does your choices match up to this Spotify receipt? Photo courtesy of junior and Co-Editor-In-Chief Karl Karsh.

At San Luis Obispo High School, almost all students and teachers are listening to music daily. Whether it be indie, folk, rock, pop, rap, or something completely different, everyone has a unique music taste.

Expressions interviewed a few different people around campus to see what they’re listening to this Winter season. 

Expressions: What genres of music have you been listening to recently?

Senior Olivia Cusick: Mostly modern rock.

Junior Alma Tinoco: I would say I’ve been getting more into Punk recently. 

English Teacher and Newspaper Advisor Scott Nairne: This morning I put on a Spotify playlist called Stomp and Clap, which takes you to bands like the Abett Brothers, which I kind of like right now.

Expressions: What are your top three favorite artists at the moment?

Senior Olivia Cusick: I’d say Taylor Swift, definitely. Flipturn and Johnny Cash are also my favorites.

Junior Alma Tinoco: Well I would say Mazzy Star is my number one right now, followed by Green Day. And then I would say The Garden for my third favorite.

English Teacher and Newspaper Advisor Scott Nairne: I like Wilco, which is kind of like that rhythm and really cheeky kind of band. Jane’s Addiction is good, if I went way back in the 90’s I’d still listen to them. And anything that Brian Moss is putting out I’m listening to. 

Expressions: What is your current favorite song? Why?

Senior Olivia Cusick: “Stuck in the Middle with You” by Stealers Wheel. It’s just really fun to listen to. Whenever I hear it in a show or something I get excited. 

Junior Alma Tinoco: “My Girlfriend’s dead” by The Vandals because I think it’s really silly and also just a good song.

English Teacher and Newspaper Advisor Scott Nairne: According to Spotify, the song that I have played the most in the last year, which is kind of a good song, is called “Crockpot” by Slothrust.

Expressions: If you have one, what is your favorite album right now? Why?

Senior Olivia Cusick: I mean “Midnights” by Taylor Swift is definitely my top [album]. I’ve also been listening to a lot of Mamma Mia to prepare for auditions so that’s in the top too.

Junior Alma Tinoco: I don’t really have one.

English Teacher and Newspaper Advisor Scott Nairne: No, I don’t have the attention span for an album.

There are so many different kinds of music that diverse demographics enjoy. If you want to branch out and find some good new songs, check out the music others are listening to around campus!

View Comments (1)