Explaining ‘rizz’ and its presence in SLOHS

There’s more slang to add in the dictionary. Graphic courtesy of junior Alma Tinoco.

Students at San Luis Obispo High School hear all kinds of phrases on the daily, but a new word has recently begun to pop up around campus: rizz. What is rizz, and do students at SLOHS actually have it? 

Rizz (an abbreviated form of charisma) is essentially the same thing as having “game”; a term that implicates having skill in conversing with someone in the hopes of establishing some form of relationship. Basically, having rizz is the social step leading into a relationship with another person. 

“In terms of heart eye emojis, I would give [my rizz] a solid seven heart eye emojis out of ten. The thing is, you don’t force rizz. Rizz is you,” said junior Cassiopeia Mamaradlo.

The phrase has been around since at least June of 2021, but has recently come into popularity again on TikTok, along with other trends like the “light-skin stare.” The word rizz seems to have originated from creator Kai Cenat, who uses the term in his Youtube and Twitch work. 

“I would say I have rizz. I mean no, but like, yeah. You know, it’s unspoken- but in the most extreme way. I wouldn’t say that [I have negative rizz], but I’ve been told,” said junior Ashlyn Trahan.

There are different types of rizz for those who are unaware: “W” rizz and unspoken. Unspoken rizz refers to the natural appeal someone has without even trying. The other type depends on the success of a developed social skill, therefore dubbing it “W” rizz. However, for the less fortunate there’s a third option- absolutely no rizz. 

“Rizz? I would say I have none at all. I’ve got no play. I’m not completely sure why, but it may be because I dress like a degenerate every day,” said freshman Che Brocco. 

Everyone has their own charm, even if it’s very little. There shouldn’t be any worry on meeting the criteria of having rizz, and students at SLOHS should enjoy the silly trends that come and go as social media moves on quickly to the next thing. 

Source: landscapeinsight.com