How the new schedule has made SLOHS Surf Club’s weekly surf trips a dream

The majestic morro rock, taken from a drone. Photo courtesy of sophomore Kai Monge.

San Luis Obispo High School’s Surf Club goes on weekly Monday Morning surf trips before the start of school.

“Every Monday morning, surf club heads out to get some nice cold cold water before school. [It is] Super chill,” said Vice President of Surf Club and sophomore Kai Monge.

Surf Club usually goes to Morro Bay Rock on Mondays because of the consistent waves, even though it can get busy. Surf Club members carpool to make it easier for members who don’t have a way of transportation.

“Basically, now with the new schedule. It’s been a dream for surfing because I can just go every Monday morning and have plenty of time to make it before school. So I go pretty much every morning,” said President of Surf Club and senior Coleman Howe.

Late start Mondays have added multiple new hours to the surfing trips, now surf club members can surf for an hour or more and still have time to get to school on time.

“Every day is different. Surfers are always at the mercy of weather and the elements. Tide, wind, and the magnitude, direction, and interval of waves are all factors that affect different spots in different ways. Conditions need to align. Mornings on the Central Coast often offer the cleanest conditions on account of wind. During fall and winter, offshore NE winds frequently groom the waves in the morning and then shift onshore, turning the ocean into an unappealing mess, by the afternoon. Those in the know know where to go to mitigate weather and wind patterns that are generally perceived as problematic,” said surf slub advisor Brian Moss.

Surf Club meets every friday in portable two. Join the club, and starts mondays off by fighting the ice-cold ocean.