Expressions staff Review the First Trimester of the 2022-2023 School Year Newspaper Class

Photo courtesy of Health and Sports Editor Cate Tucker. 

San Luis Obispo High School students have taken some classes in the 2022-2023 school year. The Expressions staff have all taken at least a trimester nowso we asked them how they rate the class. 

Expressions: How long have you been in the newspaper?

Editor-in-chief and junior Erika Spargo: This is my second year in newspaper.

Arts and Entertainment Editor and senior Olivia Cusick: I joined newspaper last trimester last year and this would be my second trimester.

Reporter and junior Kennedy Beltram: This is my first trimester here, in newspaper.

Expressions: Would you say newspaper is a stressful class to have in your schedule?  

Spargo: It’s more fun than stressful. Creative freedom definitely takes away from any kind of stress. 

Cusick: It is definitely not easy. I have so much fun here that it contradicts any stress.

Beltram: It is stressful if you have a lot of other homework. But it’s nice if you don’t have a lot of other work, so you can write and work on articles every couple of days. 

Expressions: What is your favorite and least favorite thing about being in the class?

Spargo: My favorite thing about the class is being able to write whatever I want to without any restrictions beyond the class policies. My least favorite thing is having to use Indesign because it is very difficult to work with.

Cusick: My favorite thing is meeting new people I would have never met. Such as, as a senior, I would have never met these freshmen. My least favorite thing would be problems with Indesign the software we use, since this is my first trimester as an editor I am not as versatile as I would like to be.

Beltram: My favorite thing is being able to write about what I am passionate about and being able to interview other passionate people. My least favorite thing about being in the newspaper is the quick turnover when writing for the actual printed paper. You get like three days from when you pitch your article to actually draft it. 

ExpressionsWhat is your review of the advisor Scott Nairne?

Spargo: He is really funny and chill.

Cusick: He is a very interesting guy, I had him my freshman year and I was terrified of him. He is loud. I think that can be valuable though. He is a fun teacher and just a great bonus to a great class. 

Beltram: I like him, he is super nice. But he takes forever to grade things and when you approach him about something he can be mean.