Many SLOHS Students Bike to School, Albeit for Different Reasons.

The SLOHS bike racks get a lot of use on the typical school day. Photo courtesy junior Atticus Drake.

Most San Luis Obispo High School students walk by the bike racks every morning on their way to their first period classes and it’s hard not to notice how many bikes regularly fill up the space.

With steeds ranging from electric assist, mountain, hardcore road, and average commuter bikes, many different students have many different reason for riding their bikes to school.

It seems that for many, biking to school is more than just a necessity.

“…it is a good way to wake myself up in the morning and get some exercise…[and] driving to school just seems like such a waste of gas. Also getting out of the parking lot in a car makes me angry,” said junior Graham Keeling.

The idea that biking to school is a good start to the day was a common theme from commuters.

“I love riding my bike to school because it’s better for my health, it’s better for the environment, it’s a nice way to clear my head before the school day, and it helps me to feel awake,” said senior Matt Horn.

For others, biking to school is just as much a necessity as it is for enjoyment.

“It’s a lot of fun, it’s a great chance to hang out with friends, both my parents work a lot so they can’t really give me a ride, and it’s a great workout,” said junior Ben Chance.

Biking to school is one of the most common ways of transportation to and from school at SLOHS.  While popularity varies with weather, bikes remain a student favorite for their trip to school.