Music Club Looks Towards an Expanded Student Showcase this Thursday

Student musicians prepare the perfect show behind the scenes. Photo Courtesy of reporter Lauren Weyel.

This Thursday at 6:30 P.M., San Luis Obispo High School’s Music Club will have their second annual Talent Show. The performers are primarily members of Tri-M, but students with other talents have been invited to perform as well. 

“I’m so excited to see all the students demonstrating their amazing talents. The show is very beneficial to our community because it allows young musicians to demonstrate their talents in a more individualized way as opposed to symphonies and bands, so we as a community get to experience their great talent”, said senior Phineas Lloyd-Moffett.

Last year’s showcase, held in the SLOHS Theater, was the club’s most successful event. The proceeds it brought in went to the non-profit Together with Classical. The best part of the event was how it brought together musicians of all kinds from around campus and showcased their talents, from flute duets to rock bands. 

“I’m performing ‘Merry Go Round of Life’ from ‘Howl’s Moving Castle’. It’s an anime song, and a quartet with the cello, viola, and two violins. I think it will be fun,” said sophomore Bodhi Winstead-LeRoy.

Even students without musical talents are finding ways to get involved!

“Since I do not know how to play music, I will be helping behind the scenes to get the show all set up. I am so excited,” said Lloyd-Moffett.

Tri-M is working hard this year to bring this celebrated event back and expand it so that even more students can showcase their talents.

“I’m nervous because we’re hoping it’ll be a bigger event than last year, but I’m also excited,” said senior and club president Erin Chae. “It’s a way to show how students are involved with music. I feel like music or playing musical instruments is not super common in this area, like at our school especially, so it’s kind of highlighting those talents and showing what some highschool students can offer.”

Head over to the SLOHS Theater at 6:30 P.M. on December 1 for a vibrant variety show!