Roar for SLOHS Band! The first annual SLOHS field show competition is this weekend.

Cheer on the SLOHS Marching Band as they host the first annual The Roar Field Show Tournament. Graphic courtesy of senior Jane Culbreath. 

The first annual San Luis Obispo High School “The Roar” Marching Band Field Show Tournament will take place this Saturday, November 5, at 6:45 PM. This event, hosted in the new SLOHS stadium, will showcase local marching bands as they perform their competition field shows. All of the bands will be judged and given scores, and an award ceremony will follow the performances. Admission is open to all, and tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for children. 

“Over the years the SLOHS Marching Band has had the opportunity to compete in a variety of field show competitions within and outside of California. There is a lot of excitement, shared learning, and creative energy that go into these events. I wanted to bring that here to San Luis Obispo with the hope that it will grow each year,” said band director Sharon Jeskey.

Field shows from Arroyo Grande High School, Templeton High School, Paso Robles High School, San Luis Obispo High School will be performed and adjudicated, with a grand finale performance by the Cal Poly Marching Band. 

“The first annual Roar is going to be historical because it is the first time that SLOHS has hosted a field show competition. Our event on Saturday will be a test run, opening the door to host schools from across the state or maybe even nationally. We get a performance for Cal Poly too, so it’s not something the community would want to miss!” said band president Christian Cuevillas. 

Gates open to spectators at 6:00 PM. Tickets are available to be purchased with cash at the gate or online at GoFan. All proceeds benefit the SLOHS Band. 

Link to purchase tickets: The Roar Field Show Tournament Tickets