Should the List of Books Required in English Classes Be Updated?

This summer, while on vacation with my family in Santa Cruz, I walked into one of my favorite local bookstores. They had dedicated a bookshelf to required reading for High Schools in the nearby school district. Naturally, I was curious because as an avid reader and a high school student, it interests me what other people my age are reading for homework.

I was particularly fascinated when I saw that one of the books listed was “Tell the Wolves I’m Home”, a novel I had coincidentally just finished days before the trip.  This book, which was written in 2012, tells the story of a young girl as she copes with the loss of her uncle after he dies of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome. It is nothing like any of the books I have ever been required to read before in school in the sense that it is contemporary. Seeing this book listed, I couldn’t help but be a little jealous that the students of Harbor High in Santa Cruz, California get to read “Tell the Wolves I’m Home,” while during my High School experience thus far, I had been assigned things like “Great Expectations” and “Romeo and Juliet.”

When asked if he thinks San Luis Obispo High School’s English curriculum needs an updated list of required reading, English teacher Craig Stewart said, “I think it depends on the book and the teacher. There are some books that could easily be switched out for something a little more interesting or contemporary, and I also think that it should be in line with what the teacher thinks their strengths are.”

While I do think it is very important to be knowledgeable about “classics” such as the books students are assigned at San Luis Obispo High School, I strongly believe we need some balance. New books are just as important as old books because generally speaking, they are more controversial. By getting rid of some of the old books that are no longer relatable, we are making room for new “classics.” This way, we can spark the interest of high school students by showing them that reading is not just another boring homework assignment, but instead, a form of entertainment and learning.

We are the next students of English and if students are not interested in literature, how will we ever learn to love reading?  While there is definitely something to be said for tradition, it is time for a change.