Looking for a good scare this Halloween season? Check out what movies SLOHS students recommend

Photo courtesy of sophomore Addi Woods.

With October 1 right around the corner, many San Luis Obispo High School students are getting excited for spooky season. What’s not to love? There’s pumpkin carving, haunted houses, halloween candy, and best of all: scary movies.

Expressions asked some students and staff what their favorite scary movie is to get some movie recommendations for this Halloween season.

Sophomore Riley Moerman: “The Blair Witch Project”. It’s probably the only scary movie I’ve actually enjoyed.

Senior Olivia Cusick: I literally love “Midsommar”. I was Florence Pugh from the movie last year for Halloween.

Sophomore Mikey Thorne: “Us”. It’s the best scary movie. 

Senior Jane Culbreath: “Coraline.” I don’t really watch scary movies. 

Senior Owen Blackwell: “A Quiet Place” because it combines the horror genre with the post-apocalyptic genre. I enjoy analyzing the survival of the aliens and how you can apply the preparation that they do to your own life.

Sophomore Kashmir Flood: “The Black Phone” because there’s a lot of jump scares. 

English teacher Scott Nairne: “The Shining” is a really good psychological thriller. Also the first three “Friday the 13th” freaked me out because my parents sent me to a camp by the lake when I was a kid which was the same concept.

Be sure to gather your family, friends, or loved ones and get ready to be frightened!