Feeling bored this summer? Here are some ways Expressions suggests that you pass the time.

Image courtesy of  reporter Leanne Leichtfuss

During the long twelve weeks of summer break, San Luis Obispo High School students may start to feel like they’ve hit a wall of boredom. 

“Over the summer, I have nothing to do; I feel a bit bored,” said sophomore Tyler Hagobian. 

While summer is a time to relax and get some much-needed rest, many students might feel lost without the structure of school. If you have no idea what to do to pass the time, here are some suggestions, in no particular order:

1. Binge-watch TV shows

In the school year, when one needs to devote time to things like studying or going to bed early, watching TV for hours on end isn’t a very viable option. However, in summer, binging television is a great way to pass the time. In addition to classics like “The Office” and “Avatar:The Last Airbender”, there are a lot of great recent shows to watch, such as “Ms. Marvel,” “Love, Victor” season 3, and “Stranger Things” season 4.

1. Go to the beach

San Luis Obispo county is home to a lot of beautiful beaches, and the warm summer months are when the water is perfect for swimming. Just sitting on the warm sand, doing nothing, is a great way to relax, and there are a lot of fun activities to do at the beach, such as volleyball, bodysurfing, or birdwatching.

“[Bored students] should go to the beach, because there’s a lot of things to do; you can sit there, go in the water, walk around. There’s also, like, stores there, so you can go shopping. If you go with friends and family, it’s quality bonding time,” said Hagobian.

1. Take a nap

During the stress and rush of the school year, it can be a challenge to get all the sleep that you need. Make up for this loss and use the summer to get some much-needed sleep.

“Napping is great because you can catch up on rest and feel refreshed, and it passes the time,” said sophomore Jordyn Mcnabb.

1. Babysit

When it comes to teenagers working, babysitting is what first comes to mind for many. If you’re good with kids, babysitting for neighbors, family, or even strangers is a great way to spend your spare time and earn some extra money. For someone who enjoys spending time with children, it might not even feel like work.

1. Read a book

During the school year, reading can feel like a chore, not a fun way to pass the time. Many of the books aren’t read by choice; they’re old, boring classics on an assigned reading list that hasn’t been altered in centuries. But, when you have the time to read, getting into books that you actually enjoy can be very rewarding.

If you’re looking for something new to read, the San Luis Obispo Library is the place to go. They have a large selection of books, and-as with all libraries-it’s completely free to sign up and check books out. 

1. Learn a new skill

With summer comes all the free time you need to get involved in a new hobby. If you don’t know what skill to learn, some ideas are cooking, knitting, painting, baking, journaling, sewing, or playing an instrument. As with the previous entry, the SLO library is a great place to get learning resources, such as cookbooks, for free.

And, books aren’t the only thing you can learn from. These days, there is a wealth of knowledge on the internet. Reading online articles and watching how-to Youtube videos is a great way to get into a new hobby.

While summer boredom can seem all-consuming at times, there are always activities to occupy yourself with.