San Luis Obispo Teacher Craig Stewart welcomed Back into (ASB) Associated Student Body adviser role for 2023

Photo of old STEWIE Courtesy of Reporter Bradley Quaresma.

As San Luis Obispo high school ASB progresses, so do its members. Although this teacher is not new to ASB it’s been awhile since he last took the lead. Expressions welcomes back AP Literature teacher Mr. Stewart into the role of ASB adviser.

Expressions: What do you teach? 

SLOHS English teacher Craig Stewart: I currently teach College Prep 11th grade English, but next year I will be returning to AP Literature.

Expressions: How long have you been teaching? And how much longer do you plan on teaching?

Stewart: I am finishing my 25th year of teaching right now, and have no concrete plans to retire. I am going to spend the next portion of my career being the activities director and teaching the ASB class, and have been looking forward to that opportunity for a while.  That kind of challenge should keep me interested and invigorated for the foreseeable future. From an intellectual standpoint teaching AP will be a very stimulating experience, and from a personal/relational standpoint working closely with students in ASB to create school spirit and put on exciting school activities will be fantastic.I can’t think of a better professional situation than that.  

Expressions: Would you change anything about San Luis Obispo High School? If so, how would this be a positive change to the school? 

Stewart: I don’t think I would directly change anything about SLOHS. Things change in their own time and in their own ways.Being a part of the SLOHS family for as long as I have has meant  appreciating the good times, rolling with the punches, and everything in between. I’ll take all of it. 

Expressions: What makes you different from any other teachers of San Luis Obispo High School?

Stewart:What makes me a little different from other teachers is the amount of different jobs I have had on this campus.  I have taught all the English classes, I have taught yearbook, I have been the ASB advisor, the senior class advisor, I have been in the school play and one year I was the varsity cheerleader coach. It has been a long strange trip.

Expressions: And last but not least how are you feeling going back into ASB? 

Stewart: I am super stoked to get back into ASB. I love this school and I love student activities. Go tigers.

Expressions: Thank you and congratulations to you Mr. Stewart, we wish you the best.