My Alternative speech for Speaker at Large at the SLOHS 2022 Graduation

Photo courtesy of 2022 SLOHS graduate Riley Wilkerson.

At graduation there are three speakers: Valedictorian, Associate Student Body president, and as said, Speaker at Large. The following text was one of the speeches in contention for Speaker at Large. The Speaker is selected through an audition process held by administrators and senior class representatives. 

Hello everyone and welcome to the graduation ceremony for the class of 2022. Before I start today, I would like to acknowledge several people. First, I would like to give a huge thank you to our past principal Leslie O’Connor and our current principal Rollin Dickinson. Both of you esteemed and dedicated individuals played big roles in our journey to get here. Speaking for my class, we all thank you for your commitment to this school and the community. Second, I would like to thank all of my classmates because without each and every one of you, I would not have been able to have the amazing high school experience I was gifted with. And lastly and I think most importantly, I would like to thank everyone in the audience. Whether you are parents, grandparents, or friends, you played a part in getting each graduate here today and we couldn’t have done it without you. Please give a round of applause for our supportive audience. 

I know a majority of you who know me are probably thinking this speech will somehow relate to soccer. Well, [pause here] you are right. Soccer is very much a metaphor for the last four years of high school at SLO High. With soccer, when the whistle blows, everyone on the pitch has one goal: to give 100%, and to win the game. Each player has a unique position in the game, and ultimately, each player is needed to win. In soccer, as in high school, no one player is more important if they don’t play as a team. Similarly, there are many different positions in high school. Whether you played sports, joined a club, participated in FFA, AVID, played in band, or choir, or whether you chose to sit in the stadium or auditorium and support those around you, every person has mattered. The game, in this case high school, would not have been the same without every player. In soccer, as in high school, some players have had an easier time. A natural talent if you will. Things went pretty smoothly. For others, it has taken more to get here. It’s important to acknowledge that we don’t all start with an even playing field. I have been blessed with a love for soccer, great coaches, amazing friends, and family who have loved and supported me every step of my high school journey. But look around graduates…you are sitting next to players who have worked extremely hard, defied challenging obstacles, and sometimes wanted to quit before half-time…but they didn’t. That is because our teachers and coaches, our fellow players on the field, and all those in the stands, kept pushing us and supporting us. For a few players, it was the sheer determination to finish the game. 

Now, like soccer, our  ninety minutes are up. Final game whistle. In High School, like soccer, each student before me has done something completely different in their game time here at San Luis Obispo High School. That’s what I’ve always believed to be the best part about a game. Not the end result, but the journey and the memories that were made along the way. And like soccer, the after game plans are all different and wonderful. College, career, travel, or just deciding your next step…the journey is what’s important. 

For me, there isn’t one particular memory I’ll look back on, but a culmination of moments spent with friends, making unforgettable memories on this campus. I will cherish every moment forever, as I hope all of you will do the same. 

I, along with the majority of our graduating class arrived on campus one thousand, three hundred, and ninety one days ago. We walked onto this campus with one end goal: To  graduate. Now as we are moments away from graduating, It’s exciting to get ready for the next big game. 

The past  four years have helped  define who we are, and we now move closer to knowing what we want to do, and who  we want to be. [Pause] Big questions, and I still don’t have it all figured out but I can confidently say that this school has made that picture a bit clearer. Whether it was our inspirational and dedicated staff or our committed and kind students, this place has been extremely dedicated in helping me figure out the answers to those important questions. 

The time following high school will be such a special one. The time where we are able to explore the world and ourselves. That could be through attending a university, joining the military, or moving right into the  workforce. All of these will help us discover who we are. This is the time where we get to pursue what we want. So fellow graduates, thank you and congratulations on a game well played.