Since menstruation is not a choice, access to free menstrual products shouldn’t be either.

Illustration courtesy of freshman Regan James.

According to California State law, public schools and universities will have to provide free menstrual products in restrooms by the start of the 2022-2023 school year.

Many schools in California lack free products in school bathrooms. With the average age of starting menstruation being 12, girls start menstruation from middle school and beyond. With the negative stigma around periods, many find it hard to openly discuss the topic, let alone ask for products because none are available in the bathrooms.

Since menstruation is not a choice, access to free menstrual products shouldn’t be either. Free menstrual products will not only support those who can not afford them but also help decrease the unnecessary stigma around menstruation.

Even though menstrual products are required to be free in schools and universities in 2022, many know this is not the case; with period poverty affecting most of the world, menstrual products are not “free” until everyone has access. Menstrual products need to be accessible and free in all school and public bathrooms.

Many acknowledge the fact menstruation is not a choice but still refuse to provide proper funding to support essential items.

The article, “The Case for Free Tampons and Pads in Schools” states, “Period products are a medical necessity and therefore, it shouldn’t be hindered by conversations about cost, but treated as something that needs to be addressed.” Addressing the subject is one of the first steps to help dismantle the false beliefs and stigma around the topic. The same article states, “23 percent of teen girls have struggled to afford period products.”

With the US being a first world country one could only imagine the struggle to access these products in other countries. One could argue that most public schools supply products through the school nurse; and by doing so this allows a better use of funding and still supports the students. Although this is true, many forget the stigma that comes with asking for a product while you are currently bleeding, or think you are. With products being available in bathrooms many of these current problems could be resolved easily.  

One argument that comes with free period products is that of increased taxes on these products and a lesser work pay for those who make them.

The article, “Should Menstrual Products Really be Free?” states, “the average woman only spends 9 dollars a month on products, including the tampon tax.” Theoretically, this statement could be true, but depending on cycle length and flow the average price would be much higher. Another claim pulled from the article is, “a 6 percent tax on period products is a small price to pay, especially in a country where the poverty line lies above the international average and where our national debt is constantly increasing.” While these points are reasonable, they are not logical. Each and every woman’s period is different, this is why having accessible period products is just as necessary as any other medical item. 

In the end, the lack of free accessible period products is a silent crime.

Period products should be free at all schools (concerning the correct grade level) and public spaces. Not only will this benefit a community but it will also decrease the unwanted stigma around periods. School Administrators can agree some form of free menstrual products should be accessible in school bathrooms.

Since menstruation is not a choice, access to free menstrual products shouldn’t be either!

Sources: NyTimes, NPR, WeddingtonWitness