Is golf getting the respect it deserves as a high school sport or not? 

Photo Courtesy of reporter Kylie Self 

Certain Students at San Luis Obispo high school have mixed feelings about golf being a sport. 

Both golf teams at SLOHS have been going really well, Girls Golf placed second place overall and the boy golf team has been doing amazing so far. The golf teams are one of the low recognized sports at SLOHS.

“I think golf is a good sport at the school because it brings people together even though it’s an individual sport,“ said freshman Avery Fleming.

Golf is usually played as an individual sport and at SLOHS it’s a team sport and even though it’s put into the team aspect. Putting it into a team aspect is good because you can help eachother out and help understand new techniques and skills you can learn. 

“I feel like golf is more played for fun than for competitiveness and it’s really boring to watch compared to baseball and football,” said freshman Carter Sutcliffe.

Golf is usually played by older men and women so putting as a sport can make the younger generations more confused and want to not play/watch it because it’s considered “Boring”.

“Golf can be really hard especially when you’re competitive, I know for me that if I hit the ball wrong or something it makes me mad and it’s harder for me to focus,” said Stocke.

Whether you think golf is a sport or not, there is one thing people will agree about-It is very stressful. Golf is one of the most stressful sports out there because it requires so much mental work/strategies.