Free Things to do in Slo

Concerts in the Plaza- From June 12 to September 11, free concerts are offered in the Mission Plaza every Friday evening. Although said concerts may be crowded with middle aged mothers busting out their best dance moves, these concerts can be a great, free way to spend time over summer. “I always like to go to the concerts whenever I don’t have money.” said senior McKenna Boswell

Window Shopping- Although this may seem an obvious option for a chronically broke person such as myself, window shopping can actually be a great way to use time. Spending hours in dressing rooms, walking from store to store without any prospect of purchase, and having shopkeepers tell you that you’re loitering can often be more fun than it sounds.

San Luis Obispo Botanical Garden- Though often overlooked, the San Luis Obispo Botanical Gardens, conveniently located near Cuesta College, are incredibly beautiful. Home to many different plant species, the garden is a nice place to take a stroll, or woo that special someone.

Visit San Luis Obispo Library: This one may sound painfully obvious, but the San Luis Obispo Library is teeming with underutilized literature, reference movies, films, and internet access. Offering books cover topics from teen romance, to the Austro-Prussian war, to how to take care of your new Iguana, the library has enough reading material to last a lifetime. If reading isn’t your thing, have no fear; the library features an audio-video department with nearly as many rental opportunities as Netflix, only free of cost. And if none of this is to your liking, there is also free internet access. The Library is not a place to fear, but instead a great place to spend time. “I love the video rentals they have,” said senior Pamela Chang-Ibanez

Ride the bus around SLO- For those of us without the privilege of driving, we have come to known the strange serenity that accompanies a bus ride around San Luis Obispo. Luckily for students, the San Luis Obispo bus system is free during the summer months for students. Whether you hop from park to park, or simply ride silently, bus rides can be more fun than they seem.

Avila Valley Barn- For a fun summer throwback to your younger years, a visit to the barn is a must. Although you may need to donate 50 cents for lettuce to feed the animals, the Avila Valley Barn is primarily free of cost. Visit the animals that you grew up loving, and reflect of the natural wonder of the city you grew up in.  “I grew up close to the Barn, so going back is always a really nice treat.” said senior Chiara Lucchesi

History Center and Museum of San Luis Obispo County- Although I was ridiculed many a time for visiting our local little history museum as a child, I still relish the moments I spent there. With changing exhibits, it is an always changing glance into the past. If the interior isn’t enough, the building itself, one of the early Carnegie Libraries, should draw in curious individuals.

San Luis Obispo Museum of Art- Located across the street from the History Museum, this is another nearby location to spend time and embrace high culture, all without a dollar to your name. With changing exhibits, and often times, student art showcases, the museum is but one of SLO’s great public places.