9 Movies to Watch on Netflix

For those of us with little to do over summer break, sites like Netflix can be a saving grace; those hot summer nights otherwise spent doing nothing can be instead filled with hours of entertainment. Netflix is often praised for its many seasons of various television programs; however, many of us simply can’t commit to ten seasons of the same show. For those of us with unresolved commitment issues, Netflix can still be relevant; the films of the website are short and sweet. Here is a list of some of Netflix’s must see movies for a summer of pure boredom.

1. “American Beauty”- An Oscar Award winning 1999 film, the Kevin Spacey modern day classic is risqué, profound, funny, tragic, and altogether entertaining. From a midlife crisis, the dissolution of a modern American family, and a questioning of the meaning of our lives, “American Beauty” is a rare film that both entertains and provokes thought.

1.  “Trainspotting”- This 1996 movie is a techno-surrealist look into mid-1990s Scottish heroin addiction. The black comedy covers both the highs and lows of addiction, keeping the real emotion present, even through strobe lights and Iggy Pop songs. Although it may not be everyone’s taste, it is definitely a film worth seeing.

1.  “Annie Hall”- The best known Woody Allen film, enough has been said of this 1977 classic to last a lifetime. Following the relationship of Alvy Singer and Annie Hall, the film is charming, funny, and bittersweet; unlike many romantic comedies, it doesn’t try to romanticize every aspect of love.

1.  “Amelie”- A Technicolor dream for every stereotypically “quirky”, short haired, Francophile teenage girl, “Amelie” is, nevertheless, a wonderful film. The 2001 French comedy is whimsical, and precisely the type of movie to watch when you feel as though the world is about to cave in.

1.  “Heathers”- “Heathers”, to put it simply, is perhaps one of the greatest 1980s teen comedies. Starring the beautiful Winona Ryder and the high eyebrowed Christian Slater, the 1989 dark comedy is a strike back at the stereotypical “mean girls”- with a lethal twist.

1.  “Harold and Maude”- A classic in the dark comedy genre, this unusual 1971 romantic comedy, which explores themes of existentialism and general morbidity, is again, not for everyone. However, fans of May-December romance and Cat Stevens are sure to be impressed.

1. “Tiny Furniture” – Lena Dunham’s 2010 film, it explores the all too familiar theme of post-grad hopelessness. A recent graduate of Oberlin College, the film explores main character Aura’s readjustment to life after returning to New York, crossing a bridge into a confusing chapter of young adulthood.

1. “We Are The Best!”- A film for any kid who went through that all too uncomfortable middle school punk phase, this 2014 Swedish film follows the story of three teenage girls who, in the midst of punk’s supposed death, rebel against the rise of new wave, and create their own anarchy filled tunes. Endearing and at times, all too familiar, the film is a nostalgic ride into the past.

1.  “Bridget Jones’ Diary”- Although it may not be hailed as a cinematic masterpiece, this 2001 romantic comedy is a welcomed break from the stress of everyday life. A modern day adaptation of Jane Austen’s “Pride and Prejudice,” Renee Zellweger’s character represents the awkward every-woman of the 21st century.