Hey SLOHS: Huge Israeli Strawberry Declared the World’s Heaviest

Photo courtesy of Huffpost.com.

At San Luis Obispo High School, students are passionate about various things, including food. What most students may not know, but strawberry lovers most likely do, is that the Guinness World Record for the world’s heaviest strawberry has been declared. 

An Israeli strawberry weighing 10.19 ounces was picked by farmer Chahi Ariel on Chahi Ariel’s family farm in February 2021. However, the world record was confirmed a year later, in February 2022. 

“I love strawberries.This is so exciting,” said English teacher Scott Nairne.

Ariel kept the strawberry in a freezer until the record was confirmed. Ariel said he was laughing and singing when he got the news that it set the record.

“It’s crazy that the strawberry was frozen for an entire year. I’m glad Ariel was finally able to set the record, he seemed really excited about winning it,” said freshman Maverick Meeks.

The strawberry is of a local variety called Ilan that usually grows to a large size. Ariel stated that the strawberry he froze has shrunk to half the size it was the previous year. 

Before this one, the record-holder for the heaviest strawberry was a Japanese strawberry grown in 2015. It was grown in Fukuoka and weighed 8.8 ounces. 

The bar has been set very high for any other strawberry to surpass this one’s weight. SLOHS FFA, where you at? Only time will tell if the world famous Israeli strawberry will reign superior forever.

Source: huffpost.com