Here’s what SLOHS students should add to their Netflix watch lists

Photo courtesy of SkyBound.

San Luis Obispo High School students recently gave us their Netflix watch list and the results are all across the board.

If you’re looking for action, “The Walking Dead” is for you, while mystery and drama fans will both appreciate “You”. In this article we have suggestions for horror, fantasy, drama, mystery, action and more.

“You,” a drama-mystery on Netflix has been popular since its first season. The story follows Joe Goldberg as he becomes increasingly transfixed with different people and displays how his obsessions are dangerous.

“I like how he deals with [his problems] and how he grows as a person even though he doesn’t really grow as a person,” said freshman Arely Perez Delgado.

When asked what her favorite Netflix movie was, she gave us another genre to add to the list.

“Oh, a horror movie. The first one that comes to mind is ‘Annabelle’, but ‘Conjuring 2’ is pretty good too,” said Perez.

“Shadow and Bone,” an adaptation of a book series of the same name was revealed April 23, 2021 and was an instant success, already confirmed for a second season. Fantasy fans have been pleased to see that the series had strong effects and a high budget, which was unheard of for fantasy shows until ‘Game of Thrones’ in 2011.

The series follows Alina Starkov and her newfound abilities that challenge the established world order. A place of darkness called The Fold is filled with monsters that kill anyone who enters, something that many people want to destroy. The only thing that can destroy The Fold is a Sun Summoner, so when Alina discovers her abilities, she realizes that many will want her on their side, but many will want to simply kill her instead.

“The Walking Dead,” is another choice from our school, a popular TV show that has been running since 2010, is a show about the survivors of a zombie apocalypse and their struggles with morality as they come to terms with their new world.

“I like the action in it and I’ve been watching it for four or five years,” said junior Collin Bartlett.

The show has been praised less as the show progressed into later seasons, but the fundamental characteristics of the show have remained the same. The creative storylines that extend through many seasons keep the story engaging and the dynamic characters allow people to remain connected to the show. The interesting characters and their navigation around deadly walkers and even deadlier humans keep the show interesting and beloved by many.

All of these movies and films are accessible on Netflix, but it’s important to hurry because this new year has no promises for what’s to come and what’s to stay.