JV Cross Country is having an Impressive year

Photo Courtesy of Freshman Cross Country Runner Leila Johnson. 

SLOHS JV Cross Country is very impressive. The girls team has been working very hard this year. With them taking home a win almost every time!

“I have been an alternate for varsity and raced JV, personally I love both teams because everyone is so close and all of the spots have been interchangeable and it makes you want to be the best version of yourself as a runner and teammate,” said Freshman runner Leila Johnson. 

In the beginning of the year the girls SLOHS JV team participated in the Richard Brug Cross Country Invite and in no surprise brought home a win. 

On September 25, Freshman Catherine Tucker got second overall with Junior Makena Johnson finishing ten seconds later.

As well as they do, part of being on a JV team means that you might not have as many supporters. 

“No one watches cross country. The team definitely supports the JV team though, they don’t ignore us,” said Junior Makena Johnson.

Cross Country is one of the sports where the JV and Varsity teams can differ from meet to meet. The girls team this year has not had a consistent Varsity Team. 

“For Cross Country it is very comperive between the JV and Varsity teams. I have done many sports and this is definitely the most competitive,” said Makena Johnson.

In the more recent JV cross country, on November 10 the Lady Tigers got the best possible score of 15. In cross country if your team gets first through fifth you get 15 points and win your race automatically. 

In the 5k race freshman Leila Johnson got first with Sophomore Mattea Kalpakoff following close behind.

I know cross-country will have amazing seasons for years to come. Great work out there lady Tigers!